Falta Special Economic Zone (earlier FEPZ) was set up by the Government of India in the year 1984. This has now come under the purview of the SEZ Act & Rules with effect from 10th February , 2006 in terms of Government of India Notification No. S.O.196(E) dated 10.02.2006. The objective have been set as generation of additional economic activity, promotion of goods and services, promotion of investment from domestic and foreign sources, creation of employment opportunities, development of infrastructure facilities.
Subsequently, two other SEZs were set up. They were MANIKANCHAN SEZ for gems and jewellery and WIPRO SEZ for IT and ITES. Both of these SEZs are located at Salt Lake, Sector-V, Kolkata.
In addition to the already set up Special Economic Zones viz. Falta, Manikanchan and Wipro Sez,some more new SEZs have been approved by the Government of India in the eastern and north-eastern states of India which are under the jurisdiction of Development Commissioner, Falta SEZ and are in various stages of implementation. Those are –
(1) Integrated Multi Product Zone at Kulpi
(2)Leather Complex at Bantala
(3) IT/ITES SEZs in Bantala and Rajarhat
(4) FreeTrade Warehousing Zone for providing multi product warehousing services at Haldia
(5) Adityapur SEZ for Automobiles and Components in Jharkhand
(6) Multi product SEZs in Dubuti & Gopalpur in Orissa.